I am doing my first book signing event. I need to figure out how many books I should aim for.
Here are some things to consider:
- It's my first book, so no name recognition.
- It's just before a major travel holiday weekend (Memorial day).
- It's not being held at a bookstore.
- The owner of the place has sent out over 200 emails about the event, already.
- I have personally invited over 30 people.
- The fliers at the coffee shops had to be refilled twice.
- The venue is right next to one of the hottest, busiest places to eat in town. People often come into this shop while waiting for their tables.
- Being the start of a holiday weekend, it will be packed and there are posters in the restaurant about the event too.
- The book signing is turning into a major event, prizes, games (most offered by the shop owner, I love her!)
So when this first started I was thinking 30 books, then 40, now 50. Am I being too optimistic? Or should I bring more? I am not too worried about having extras after wards, I have a list of people that are getting free copies, because of their help. I am more afraid of running out.
If I do run out, I am offering the people a chance to put a dollar down to hold a copy for them and a discount.
Any advice is appreciated.